Kayaking on Mono Lake



When I first moved to the Eastern Sierra, I lived in Lee Vining. I enjoyed living near Mono Lake and observing it's unusual and ever-changing appearance. I had wanted to kayak among the lake's limestone pillars (also known as tufas) for a while now.


After seven years of living in the Eastern Sierra, we finally did just that. My sister, her husband, and I had a great morning touring the lake.




Mono Lake is also a nesting ground for hundreds of species of birds. In fact, there is a birding festival at Mono Lake every June called the Bird Chautauqua. While kayaking, we saw several osprey nests built on top of tufas. I caught this photo of an osprey with her chick. 







Foxey enjoyed watching the seagulls... she may have jumped in after a few. Don't worry, she didn't get too far.


"You paddle, I'll nap." ~Foxey


It was a beautiful, calm day on Mono Lake. However, due to the unpredictable mountain weather, it is important to take precautions before heading out on Mono Lake. This lake is about 70 square miles and you don't want to be caught in the middle of it in a storm. Things can change rapidly. It is recommended that people kayak in the morning and get off the lake before too late in the afternoon. The wind can pick up out of no where and storms can roll in quickly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.