Matterhorn Peak

A couple miles in heading toward Twin Peaks. Matterhorn is off to the right out of the picture,
Last Saturday, my sister, dad, brother-in-law, and his friend set out from Mono Village, Twin Lakes, Bridgeport up Horse Creek trail head with the hope of making it to the top of Matterhorn Peak. Matterhorn is the tallest mountain in the Sawtooth Ridge at 12,285 ft. We started out at 7am and returned to the car at 7pm. 

The first 3-4 miles we had a trail to follow but after that we were scrambling over rocks, studying the map and GPS, looking for our way around to the base of the peak.

Matterhorn Peak Reflection + Wildflowers




Kara and Twin Peaks. At this point we were no longer on a trail. This picture was taken just before climbing the talus you see in the background.
Just finished a steep climb and happy to be off of the rocks.
The view. We headed down and to the right and came to the base of Matterhorn.
Taking a rest. At this point we were on our way up the back side of Matterhorn. There is a lot of sand and loose rock to climb. Photo credit: Steve Makowski.
As we continued to climb we were among striped craggy rock formations.

Getting higher...
Not quite at the top yet. Looking down towards Twin Lakes.
I spotted Bridgeport- the tiny ant town.

Hanging out on the side of Matterhorn Peak facing some major wind gusts.
Kara and I.
Making our way to the top. It was extremely windy! We had to use our hands to climb up a bit before this point.
After a few minutes of huddling down between a couple boulders, questioning what I was doing on this precarious pile of rocks, I was able to muster up the guts to climb the last few feet to the top... I made it. I'm not quite sure what Jack Kerouac was thinking when Matterhorn Peak inspired him to write: You can't fall off of a mountain. Jack, I'm pretty sure that you can in fact fall off of a mountain and it would be the most unpleasant drop of your life (I can be a bit dramatic when it comes to heights). I have to admit that I left a few tears on the top of the Matterhorn. 

Photo credit: Steve Makowski

Don't I look terrified? 
(I am).

And then there's "that was no big deal" Steve.
Standing on the top.
And then eventually climbing down... not my favorite part either. Photo by Steve Makowski.
Cute yellow flowers at the top. 
Continuing to make our way down.
Going down, down, down....
Looking back at Matterhorn Peak. 




 The mileage for the day was around 15-16 miles. It was a long day with breath-taking views and a few doubting moments from me- Were we going to be able to find the peak? Did I have the mental strength to climb the narrow approach with shear drop-offs to reach the very top of the peak? Despite all of my apprehension- we were successful.

When we got back home, my mom was pretty worried because she thought we would have made it back sooner. She asked us why we like putting ourselves through unnecessary challenges like this. Well, I thought about that question. Why do I take joy in these activities that sometimes scare me to the point of tears? There is something so invigorating about rambling all day through canyons, up and down ridges, meandering in the wide open air followed by the thrill of peering down from the top of a peak that I can't get enough of. It's almost as if the day-to-day cares and worries of life disappear on the cool mountain breeze and I'm able to focus solely on my feet below me and the rugged beauty around me.



2 comments:

  1. Wow great story. Pictures were amazing thank you for letting me see a glimpse of the mountains i love to much. Maybe one day I'll be able to do that. Never hiked more then 10 miles and I thought that was nuts not even rock climbing. Thanks again beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dani! Glad you enjoyed this post. It was definitely an epic hike- worth the tears and all! :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.