Getting ready for Tioga... only one hill!

Awesome trophy by Kenny Willingham
In September 2010 I was working at Lake View Lodge in Lee Vining and running trails twice a day. I was in good shape and my boss at the lodge offered to sponsor me in the 30th annual Tioga Pass race so I decided I would do it.

Tioga Pass is the eastern gateway to Yosemite National Park. The start line is in the town of Lee Vining at an elevation of 6,781 feet above sea level and the finish line is at the top of Tioga Pass at 9,945 feet. It's a 12.4 mile race with an elevation gain of 3,200 feet.

I skipped last year's race but I'm getting geared up and ready to take it on this year. I have to say the best thing about the race was the handmade trophy by Kenny Willingham. Kenny has a pottery gallery in June Lake and he made the incredible beer stein trophy with a hand painted scene of Tioga Pass on the front. That trophy inspired me to sign up for Kenny's fall pottery class where I made a lot of Christmas gifts. I'm not sure if Kenny is still making the trophies for the race but if he is I will be even more motivated to win!

I have been running quite a bit but not twice a day like I was in 2010. Foxey drags me along on most runs, chasing quail, lizards, and other critters. My runs have been faster since I've had Foxey so that might help me.

This year's race is on Sunday, September 9th. We'll see how it goes. It's a beautiful run so I will enjoy no matter the outcome!

Tioga Pass

cooling off after the race

winter pottery class creations

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.