Foxey's Wintry Day in Lundy Canyon

It was a sunny winter day in Lundy Canyon. Foxey was eager to set out for a day of untethered exploration. After strapping my boots into my snowshoes, I hoisted my olive green, vintage North Face backpack to chin height, slipping my arms through the shoulder straps. The plan was to hike to the end of the canyon.

Foxey ran ahead of me, stopping several times to stick her head in the snow only to come up with a snow covered snout and a quick snort. It had been a very mild winter so the snow was shallow at the start. As we hiked past Lundy Lake and further into the canyon the snow became deeper. Foxey seemed unaffected. The snow was covered with scampering animal tracks and Foxey discovered a multitude of curious new sniffs. She was elated. As the snow got deeper, Foxey traveled over the snow like a dolphin breaking water, arcing to dive back in.

When we reached the first beaver dams, the sun began to disappear behind several dark, warning, clouds. At this point, in pursuit of her sniffs she burrowed into the snow, leaving a mole-like trail behind her. The clouds grew closer overhead and we were soon engulfed by a light snowfall.

Like a stirred snow globe, the flakes gently waffled down to the canyon floor. Juxtaposed against the light falling snow, was the stillness of the canyon. For the added activity of snowfall, the canyon appeared to drift into a deeper sense of silence- a silence broken only by the crunch of the thin ice covered crust broken by my snowshoes, and the soft brush of snowflakes hitting my jacket.

The front brought in an artic wave of cold that penetrated my gloves and Foxey’s short coat. With the uninvited drop in temperature, Foxey began to shiver in the midst of her exertion. Although Foxey never complained about the chill, she did not protest being placed in my backpack where I began to carry her out of the canyon. Seemingly quite content, she appeared to enjoy the view from her high position.

In the canyon it seemed as if we were the only beings alive on earth but returning to the car there was the hope of civilization and warmth.




2 comments:

  1. I love that you posted a picture of the card with the story! It makes it feel so personal, and gives the card and picture itself a cool new feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.